How an Ancient Egyptian Obelisk Ended Up in NYC

Standard

When Cleopatra’s Needle was commissioned by Pharaoh Thutmose III around 1450 BCE for the Heliopolis sun temple, the island that would be Manhattan was mostly woodlands. Yet through an unlikely journey the 69-foot, 220-ton length of red granite would arrive in 1880 in New York City and become one of the icons of Central Park.

via HyperAllergic.

Advertisements